Having trouble thinking of plant based foods with all the summer grilling going on? Here’s an easy side (or meal if you’re like me and love pasta and veggies) to add to any barbecue that’s light, full of fiber, and filling too! I actually made this for my seniors (my 80-90 year old friends) at work and they LOVED it- so it’s great for all ages and appetites!
- 2 boxes of bow tie pasta (lentil pasta works great too for protein & fiber!)
- 1 chopped cucumber
- 1 chopped zucchini
- 1 carton of heirloom tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 4-5 mandarin oranges, peeled, seperated & cut in half
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 jar of chopped olives
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (add more if you desire)
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup italian seasoning (any mix- oregano, basil, garlic powder, sage, etc)
- salt & pepper
- Cook pasta, set aside to cool
- Chop all vegetables, place in big bowl
- Add cooled pasta, veggies, salt & pepper, italian seasoning
- Add the vinegar first, then oil.
- Mix together and enjoy!